15 ways to say "how was your day" (and get a response other than "fine"!)
I really remember this as a child.
Getting picked up or coming in from school and my dad would ask: “How was your day?” I’d say: “Fine”. Sometimes he’d switch it up a little and ask: “Have you had a good day?” And I’d invariably say: “Yes”.
End of conversation - short and sweet.
Or maybe not so sweet…
We hear this a lot from parents of school age children. Sometimes they’ll ask: “What did you do at school today?” And they get: “Nothing”. Which makes them want to scream as they know that’s not true! And they really do want to have a genuine conversation with their children about what kind of day they've had.
The thing is that a child’s ‘everyday day’ is filled with a million and one things that they will have done and for them to be selective and pick something to tell you about will feel like a whole lot of effort.
Also - let’s face it - it’s actually a REALLY boring a question to be asked!
So, if you really want to have a better conversation with your child about their day, try asking some of the following questions instead. They might not result in the longest conversations but you're more likely to get at least get a full sentence or two. You may even find out things you didn’t even know they felt about school, their teachers or their friends.
1. Tell me something that made you laugh today.
2. Who did you play with at break time? What did you play?
3. When were you happiest today?
4. Who is the loudest person in your class?
5. Who is the funniest person in your class? What’s the funniest thing they’ve ever done?
6. Who is the kindest person in your class? What’s the kindest thing they’ve ever done?
7. Did you do to anything to help somebody today?
8. Did anybody do anything to help you today?
9. What was the hardest thing you had to do today?
10. What score would you give today on a scale of 1 – 10, 1 being the worst and 10 being the best? Why?
11. If you could be the teacher tomorrow, what would you teach the rest of the class?
12. What haven’t you learned yet at school that you would like to learn?
13. Who brought the best food in for their lunch today? What did they bring?
14. If an alien came down from outer space and beamed a teacher up on their spaceship, which teacher would you want them to take?
15. Ask 14 again - but instead ask which teacher they would want to save!
Do you have any questions you’ve asked and got a great answer to? Share them in the comments below…and if you try any of these out then let us know how you got on!